Monday, January 18, 2010

Wokingham, my Wokingham


I truly love living in a village. Everything I need is just a short walk away - fine groceries, dry goods, services, transportation. I've become very English with my shopping trolley to wheel behind me as I walk! Most days, I don't even miss having a car.

People here are quite trusting, and honesty is the unwritten rule. It's very interesting to shop here. The stores expect customers to supply their own shopping bags. At the grocery, a scanner is provided for those registered in a shopper's program. Customers will walk through the shop and scan and pack their own merchandise as they go along. No need to check out - they've already done it via the handheld scanner. They simply return the scanner and leave when they've packed up their bags. I just can't imagine this happening in America. People are too suspicious by nature, and petty crime is too prevalent. It's quite refreshing to become a part of this culture.

Wokingham itself has it's own charming character. History is everywhere, interspersed with modern conveniences. At the town's market center, the old church sits on the edge of a pedestrian plaza. Each week, produce, meat and other vendors set up stalls in an open-air market. Pubs are on every block and they always seem to be packed with locals.

The homes are also quite beautiful. Here's a great shot of the Tudor home next door to me at night in the snow. While it once was a private residence, now it houses the local "surgery," or doctor's office.

No comments:

Post a Comment