Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sunbury Antiques Market at Kemptown Racetrack


In the freezing, windy cold (somewhere around zero C on the thermometer), I braved the elements to visit Sunbury Antiques Market at Kemptown Racetrack. It's the largest biweekly antiques market in England, with nearly 700 stallholders. Some liked to bargain, some were firm on their prices. As the hours drew toward closing, the bargaining seemed to get better.

It was fascinating to visit the stalls and peruse the incredible range of memorabilia, furnishings, collectibles and ephemera. Quite truthfully, I could have wandered contentedly for another few hours in spite of my frozen fingers, but I arrived as some of the dealers were already packing up to get out of the cold. The artwork was amazing, the furniture beautiful and the deals aplenty.

My favorite find: 150 year old Chinese silk embroidered wrap skirts in a rainbow of gorgeous flower colors. I resisted the temptation to buy, but I'm wracking my brain to figure out a place in my home for such amazing textiles.

My treasures for the day? A lovely and very old footed copper pot and a vintage type tray.

My bargain for the week? The olivewood mortar and pestle I bought at a local vintage shop for two pounds (about $3.50).

Going back to Sunbury with a group of friends in two weeks. This time, we'll go armed with a wish list . . . but always be open to the unexpected surprise just waiting to come home!

No comments:

Post a Comment