Friday, February 19, 2010

Metric Mix Up of Industrial Proportions

Yes, my British friends, have a good long laugh.  I did not do my mental conversions well enough when I purchased Greek foods yesterday, fresh from Greece, almost right out of the shipping container.  The warehouse pick-up point was as industrial as they come, complete with beeping forklifts and sky-high stacks of palettes.


I wanted great authentic ingredients for tonight's dinner, and Pathos Continental Foods offered just that.  They have a cash and carry option for their web business, so I thought why not? The prices looked great, they had what I needed for my recipes, and I put in an order.

Don't know what I was thinking!  The single container of pitted kalamata olives I ordered came in at a whopping 3.2 pounds, olive oil is in a 5-gallon container and I now have enough grilled eggplant to feed a small army of hungry Greeks.  And that was just the beginning!  Suffice it to say, we'll be eating olives until the new Millenium.

So, for those of you who need to know what I clearly will memorize, here are some super simple quantity conversions:
  • 1 oz = 0.02 kg
  • 1 pound = .45 kg
  • 1 pt (US Liq) = 0.47 Liters
  • 1 gallon (US Liq) = 3.78 Liters
Opening a Greek restaurant or catering a meal for 200 any time soon?  Check out Pathos.  They're your source!

No comments:

Post a Comment