Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Best Meal I've Never Eaten: OINK in Edinburgh

Okay, I confess.  I've nearly drooled over a meal I didn't eat.  You might blanch at the sight of this photo of a roasted hog in a window, but let me tell you, the aroma of roasted meat is nearly indescribable.  Simply amazing, hunger-inducing - awesome! 

Next time I'm in Edinburgh, Oink is a MUST.

When I walked past this hog the first time, he was . . . well, full and chubby.  An hour later, he was nearly stripped clean.  Suffice it to say that the huge sandwiches coming out of the restaurant speak for themselves.  Delicious, delectable, decadent.

As they describe, the Hog Roast Roll is a "freshly carved hog roast, served in a roll with a choice of sage, onion, apple sauce or chili relish."  A "Crackling" Hog Roast Roll is the same, but topped by crispy cracklings.

Let me tell you - the crowd was impressive, the sandwiches were awe-inspiring, the smell was incredible, and I think this stop might just beat American Southern Barbecue!  They even do whole hogs for weddings and parties.

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!  On my Absolutely Must Taste Meal list!

OINK
34 Victoria Street
Grassmarket, Edinburgh
07833 947032
oink@reiver-foods.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Sad that folk still indulge in animal cruelty when a plant-based diet is better for health, the environment, and of course, for sentient beings who value their lives just as much as we do. Sickening, actually. Poor pig. :(

    ReplyDelete